Friday, March 31, 2017

Imperialism Activities for World History

Teaching about Imperialism for World History can be a great unit to help students better understand our world today!

When I teach it to my sophomore students, we will spend about 2 weeks on our Imperialism unit and cover a wide range of cultures, events, and history.


I often start with some of my Interactive Notebook pages. The set I have available includes 16 pages of graphic organizers, creative foldables, timelines, and more.

These are incredible resources for getting students engaged and active in their learning and allowing them to be creative with their notes. The set includes pages on:

  • Motives for European Imperialism
  • Forms of Imperialism
  • The White Man’s Burden
  • Responses to Imperialism

I will also start the unit with a very fun Imperialism game that helps students understand the major players in the “Scramble for Africa” and how some countries were able to conquer so much land during the Age of Imperialism.

I will then use a 3D PowerPoint I created on Imperialism to cover the key forms, vocabulary, and countries involved. My students LOVE this activity and getting to wear a set of 3D glasses. The PowerPoint uses traditional, cheap red/cyan 3D glasses which can be purchased cheaply on eBay in bulk.

Finally, throughout the rest of the unit, I will have students complete some mapping activities, analyze primary sources, and work in a Google Drive digital interactive notebook on Imperialism.
In the Digital Notebook, students type directly on the pages, insert images, and drag and drop information for a variety of engaging, interactive activities!

This is a fantastic way to integrate technology into your classroom and can be completed without printing any paper! Awesome for a 1:1 school or just a trip to the computer lab.

You can download all of these great resources plus a lot more in my Imperialism Complete Unit Bundle!

No comments:

Post a Comment